Department: Real Estate Services
Location: Seattle, WA
Job ID: 700018
Pioneer Human Services is a social enterprise that provides individuals with criminal histories the opportunity to lead healthy, productive lives. You may learn more about our organization, mission, and vision here: About Us.
About Pioneer Human Services Real Estate & Project Services Division:
Real Estate & Project Services provides professional business and support capabilities in planning & development, facilities & construction management, housing & property management, and project & portfolio management for all aspects and assets of the company.
Essential to mission efficacy of Pioneer Human Services, the Director of Construction position provides leadership and management oversight of external projects which create revenue and net income for the organization.
Position Duties and Tasks
Direct Operations (60%)
• Develops and gains VP-level approval of multi-year business plan and annual budgets to support sustainability and growth.
• Applies entrepreneurial experience and capability to develop, establish, and sustain external business customer base, ongoing business opportunities, and contract wins.
• Develops work plans and manages construction staff responsible for overseeing performance of contractors.
• Oversees staff work and monitors external contractors' work for compliance with schedule, budget, and overall conformance with the contract documents.
• Ensures "Safety First" Compliance as well as visibly supporting a safety culture; supports safety vision and complies with all safety rules, policies, and procedures; maintains accountability for safety performance of subordinate personnel.
• Implements an effective quality assurance/quality control program that minimizes re-work and ensures job completion.
• Ensures proper handling of hazardous materials/chemicals.
• Reviews contract documents and assists with procurement, pre-bid conferences, and evaluations.
• Provides adequate written Statement of Work for vendor bids and customer approvals.
• Resolves field construction problems in coordination with architecture and engineering firms, third parties, and other agencies as necessary.
• Attends progress meetings, develops status reports, and delivers presentations as required.
• Recommends policy and procedure improvements.
• Assists in negotiating with contractors regarding changes to design, construction work scope, and schedules.
• Develops and implements a quality audit program, monitors contractor corrective actions, and ensures a quality project conforming to plans and specifications.
• Monitors claims, suggests ways to mitigate impacts, and develops workarounds
• Signs approvals for construction drawings.
• Coordinates activities with other staff, departments, and public agencies.
• Performs Make vs Buy decisions on small and medium projects up to $100k.
• Develops and implements effective Construction Standards.
• Ensures effective and efficient resources and processes and implemented/followed.
• Oversees assets consisting of tool/equipment are inventoried and in good working order.
• Ensures adherence to Work Instructions.
Leadership, Strategy, and Planning (20%)
• Lead and develop the Construction team with a servant-leadership approach. This involves establishing a collaborative vision, strategy, and plan for the organization, inspiring the team, and engaging stakeholders to deliver exceptional service to internal and external customers.
• Consult company strategic planning initiatives with construction expertise.
• Develop, plan, implement, and administer multi-year construction goals, strategic operating plan and budget.
• Ensure project planning disciplines are applied at all levels of the organization.
Supervise Personnel (15%)
• Hire, develop, and motivate personnel to deliver an outstanding level of customer service. Provide oversight of appropriate discipline and corrective action as necessary.
• Ensure strict adherence to safety rules and standards and make sure all workers have the right tool and equipment to do their jobs.
• Analyze and monitor internal processes to ensure subordinates are keeping aligned with the goals of the department.
• Develop and manage an internal workforce skills training program.
• Operate the business utilizing both skilled and low skilled employees from Pioneer Human Services programs and offer on-the-job training to a portion of the workforce Coordinate assigned activities with other divisions and external agencies as required.
• Ensure employees are learning and further developing skills to support work type.
• Conducts and provides input for Performance Reviews/Expectations.
• Provides effective communications and teamwork.
Performs other duties as required (5%)
• Office Setting.
• Regularly visit construction job sites. Some sites may be unclean, insect infested or dusty.
• Schedule (i.e. hours and days):
• 40 hours per week, Monday - Friday Day Shift.
• May be required to to respond to 24-hour emergency calls to perform emergency repairs during off duty hours.
• Occasional need to travel to PHS buildings.
• Valid WA State Driver's License/Clean Record/Valid Insurance.
• High levels of customer and vendor interaction.
• Education: Bachelor's degree in Architecture, Construction Management, or Business Administration from an accredited college or university recognized by the United States Department of Education or equivalent. Equivalent education/experience will suffice, except when there are legal requirements, such as a license/certification/registration.
• Experience: 8 or more years of increasing responsibility in construction business development, management and planning.
• License/Certification: Valid Driver's License and evidence of ability to be insured.
• Software and Equipment Used: Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite programs such as Word, MS Project, PowerPoint, Excel, and Outlook is required. (Proficiency with Microsoft Office is required).
• Strong team philosophy.
• Demonstrated interpersonal skills.
• Effective leadership skills with strong desire to serve others, collaborate, communicate, and maintain excellent relationships at all levels of internal and external organizations and departments.
• Knowledge and experience of construction management best practices.
• Competency in meeting delivery deadlines and budgets while navigating complexity. Excellent follow up skills required.
• Decision making ability, while always operating with integrity and transparency.
• Strong organizational and managerial skills. Attention to detail; must be proactive and resourceful.
• Create effective and productive teams. Must be able to lead, guide and collaborate with others.
• Ability to supervise and develop staff with a broad range of abilities.
• Background experience in construction/facility/maintenance is highly preferred.
Benefits for Full-Time Employees
• Full medical, education assistance, a 403(b) retirement plan, and paid time off (10 paid holidays per year, plus sick and vacation pay).
• Pioneer contributes 4.5% of employees' annual salaries into retirement plans. An additional 3.5% match is offered to those who contribute 6% of their own salary.
• Full-time employees accrue 10 days of vacation their first year and 15 days their second.
• Those working in the city of Seattle are eligible to accrue Paid Sick and Safe Time, per Seattle Municipal Code 14.16. Please refer to the Seattle.gov website for details at:
• Employee Recognition Program (PERC Rewards). Rewards include gift cards, additional time off, weekend getaways and other items.
• Other benefits include participation in the Life Assistance Program and public transportation reimbursement of $25 per month.
Pioneer Human Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities/Women/Individuals with Disabilities/Protected Veterans and does not unlawfully discriminate under federal, state, or local laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, or protected veteran status.
EEO is the Law Poster
EEO is the Law Poster Supplement
We participate in E-Verify. Details are provided below in both English and Spanish.
This Employer Participates in E-Verify | Este Empleador Participa en E-Verify
Pioneer Human Services is a drug-free company.
In addition to pre-employment drug screening, Pioneer reserves the right to conduct random sample alcohol or drug testing of all employees. Please note that our drug-free policy includes marijuana and there are no exceptions for those with medical marijuana prescriptions.